COVID 19 Virus Updates

May 15, 2020

 Berkshire Country Day School is currently wrapping up its Distance Learning Program for the year with classes ending on June, 5th.  Given the small size of our graduating classes, we will hold two socially distanced on-campus outdoor graduation ceremonies on June 6th. All attendees will observe social distancing protocol and be required to wear masks. Our virtual closing ceremony will honor each student in the school and air online on June 12th.  June 15th-July 6th, campus will remain closed to the public. Admission virtual tours and virtual open houses will continue during this time and throughout the summer.

BCD is hoping to open in September, 2020 following the guidance of the CDC, the Governor of the State of MA and the guidance of our administration and Board of Trustees. Health and safety remain our first priority.  To that end, BCD administration is currently assembling a set of scenarios for re-opening. All plans include protocols and materials that will mitigate the virus to the best of our ability.

We can’t predict exactly what will happen, but we can be ready for a variety of possibilities. We are ordering a supply of disposable facemasks, gloves, thermal thermometers, hand sanitizer, anti-viral disinfectants, spray bottles, paper towels etc. so when we do open, we will be prepared. We are also planning to outfit our classrooms with some form of video connection so if students are required to quarantine away from school, they can continue to participate via live video-conference.

Our teachers will take professional development as a way to continue to enrich their online practice in the event of future closings, and we are planning for alternate scheduling that will allow us to spread out on our campus, conduct more outdoor programming and offer enrichments that keep children active and moving within social distancing guidelines. We will share our plans with the public as they become available. Right now, it is important our families begin to feel secure with uncertainty, knowing that BCD’s focus is on emerging from this global crisis a better school than when we entered it. Our goal is to deepen our mission for our current and future families while seeking ways we can offer assistance to the community at large in this time of global unrest.


April 21, 2020

Following Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker’s orders, Berkshire Country Day School will be closed for the remainder of the school year. The Distance Learning Program will continue.


April 3, 2020

Helpful Links 

As a result of the coronavirus outbreak, here are some informative resources to help families during the quarantine:

COVID 19 Virus Update

March 25, 2020

Following Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker’s orders, Berkshire Country Day School will be closed until Monday, May 4.

COVID 19 Virus Update

March 12, 2020

Berkshire Country Day School will be closed beginning Friday, March 13 through the Spring Break due to efforts to contain the COVID-19 virus. There are currently no known cases in our immediate school community. We will contact you during the break to inform of you of any further changes. Please see future emails for more information.

Note: The Thursday, March 12 Parents’ Association Salon Series off-campus event has been cancelled.

COVID 19 Virus Update

March 10, 2020

Today, the COVID committee met and we determined the following:

School Closing:

School will close down in the event of the following:

  • A member of our community (faculty, staff student) test positive for the novel Corona virus.
  • A member of the community’s family member tests positive for the virus.
  • Local public schools close.
  • It is recommended by local officials for the good of the greater community.

Notification of any school closing will come via telephone system in the same manner we announce snow days. If you receive this call, it is official and will have been voted on and approved by a majority of the board of trustees and the Head of School.

In the event of a school closing due to Corona Virus, the initial 24 hours will be considered an information gathering time and will be treated by students and families much as a weather closing. Because we don’t know all the circumstances we may be faced with, we are aware that any decision may depend on our ability to gather more information prior to explaining why, how long or any number of questions. Within 24 hours, you will receive further notification.

Depending on how long the school will be closed, we will continue to provide distance instruction. We will offer updates on what this may entail in future posts.

Event Cancellation and Postponement

The current advice from local officials is to cancel all unnecessary social gatherings. To date, we have cancelled one event, but it is due to risk of financial loss rather than containment. Please join us in recognizing this is a landscape that is changing daily. We will make decisions regarding graduation, closing picnic day, and  Spring concert as they arise and once we see how things either settle down or continue to ramp up after Spring break.  We have decided the following:

  1. The Salon Series at the Shaw’s home this Thursday will continue as planned. CANCELLED 3/12/2020
  2. The Spring Gala will move from a physical event to a virtual one. We are still in the planning phase and hope this provides us an unexpected moment of creativity that allows us to fulfill our promise of financial aid for our families. Please note that we made this decision for financial reasons. Given the loss we incurred due to our trips being cancelled, we didn’t believe it is in our best interest to risk putting on a gala that depended on tickets and attendance to meet our financial goals. We would be better off doing nothing, then spending money and having people not show up due to an increase in the amount of positive tests for the Corona Virus. We are hopeful that our format will achieve the goals we are aiming for and that we can still hold a fun, profitable event that will include many participants.
  3. Please be mindful that circumstances beyond our control may force us to cancel other upcoming events such as graduation or the Spring Concert etc.  These decisions will be made by the COVID committee comprised of board members and the Head of School.

Shared Responsibility

Every one of us has the responsibility for reporting any positive test results or any knowledge of exposures that may put our community at risk. We are all in this together and we are working hard to keep everyone informed and safe during this uncertain time. Thank you for your patience and understanding. We will keep you updated as we gain further knowledge and continue to make informed decisions.


RESOURCES & ALERTS – Click below.

FAQs – What is the coronavirus?

How to help stop the spread of germs.

Travel Notices.

World Health Organization.

U S Department of State.