Upper School: Grades 7 through 9
BCD’s Upper School curriculum engages and challenges students’ minds while preparing them intellectually and socially for secondary school and beyond. Students gain fundamental skills for successful learning: research, critical analysis, organization, listening, speaking, and writing across integrated curriculum areas. Faculty advisors monitor their advisee’s academic and personal progress, and counsel and advocate for their success.
View and/or download: Upper School Program of Study
Upper School Teachers
* Grade 7
Homeroom Teachers: Mrs. Pitcher-Hoffman and Mrs. Cromwell
English 7O: Mr. Fawcett
English 7Y: Ms. Watts
French7D: Mme Downes
History: Mr. Uhas and Mrs. Pitcher-Hoffman
Latin 7O: Mrs. Fawcett
Physics: Mrs. Benner and Mr. Gore
Pre-Algebra: Mr. Douglas
Pre-Algebra: Mr. Perkins
Spanish7: Sra. Velez
Integrated Studies: Mr. Perkins and Mrs. Pitcher-Hoffman
* Grade 8
Algebra8: Mr. Perkins
English: Mr. Fawcett
French: Mme Downes
History: Mrs. Pitcher-Hoffman
Latin: Mrs. Fawcett
Integrated Studies: Mrs. Benner
Science: Mrs. Benner and Mr. Gore
PreAlegra-Algebra1: Mr. Douglas
Spanish: Sra. Velez
Upper School Highlights
- Curriculum engages and challenges students’ minds while preparing them intellectually, socially, and personally for secondary school and beyond.
- Students gain fundamental skills for successful learning: research, critical analysis, organization, listening, speaking, and writing across integrated curricula.
- Latin program through Latin III.
- French and Spanish classes conducted entirely in the target language. Latin is the second required language.
- English classes focus on short stories, poetry, ancient and modern classics, Shakespeare, novels and essays; writing assignments focus on descriptive, narrative, and expository prose, poetry, and analytical essays.
- History curriculum stresses analysis and understanding American history through Reconstruction (G7), the shaping of Western society and the development of European culture (G8), and modern world history (G9).
- Upper School Arts block provides students with Arts electives in a wide range of artistic media, allowing for experimentation in photography, graphic design, Caribbean music, electronic music, acting, and digital filmmaking.
- Film program provides students with hands-on experience in all phases of filmmaking, from scriptwriting to directing and editing. Students work on industry-leading video cameras and editing work stations.
- Lab-based science curriculum encompasses physics (G7), physical science (G8), and biology (G9).
- Accelerated Math® program concentrates on pre-algebra, algebra, and geometry. Students taking geometry use Geometer’s Sketchpad® software.